Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:07:24 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "andrew@ugh.net.au" <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel problem building from 3.4 stable to 4.X stable

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:35:16 +1000 (EST), andrew@ugh.net.au
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>> When I get to the point of building the kernel I get a number
>> of syntax errors and the last line reports:
>> Specify machine type, e.g. ``machine vax''
>
>I got this when I accidently cvsuped 3-STABLE rather than 4-STABLE on a
>4.0-RELEASE box. Have you rebuilt config?

What do you mean by "Have you rebuilt config?"
I am following the instructions from UPDATING
I am trying to build the new kernel the same way I have built my
previous kernels when staying stable.

To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
--------------------------------
<see notes below>
cd /usr/src
<see notes below>
make buildworld
cd sbin/mknod
make install
cd ../../sys/modules
make install
<follow directions build.. kernel>   <---I am there
<follow rebuild disk...>
reboot
<in single user>
cd /usr/src