Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:15:57 +0200
From:      Mike Daemon <mike.daemon@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: more problems with 5.3 and "TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA" [SOLOTION]

On Mar 27, 2005 11:47 PM, Mike Daemon <mike.daemon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:32:43 -0800, Thomas Foster <tbonius@comcast.net> w=
rote:
> > I had this same issue
>=20
> I=B4ll have seen some more posts on the list with about the same problem
> therefore, I hope some bright one will take alook at the code.. and
> post something smart.. I=B4m very much stuck, hopeing any new snapshot
> will work..
>=20
>  on an older AMD Nforce board.  5.2.1 seemed to install
> > and run.. but moving to 5.3 gave me issues.  I tinkered with the DMA
> > settings in the BIOS.. to no avail.  The Geometry seemed to be off on t=
he
> > drive I noticed (IBM deskstar) when I newfs'd it.. so I changed out dri=
ves..
> > but never got it working..  I eventually just dropped Gentoo on it.
> >
> > What chipset, drive controller hard drive are you using on this system?
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Data&sektion=3D4&manpath=3DFree=
BSD+5.3-RELEASE
>=20
> I=B4ll notised that my idecontroller IS supported by the ata-driver,
> witch makes it even stranger.. (I think I will check on my cabling
> once more, even if it=B4s a newly installed _rounded_ 32 pin cable..)
>=20
> My atacontroller: SiS 5513
> My HDD: Seagate 200 GB
>=20
>=20

I (with a little help from a good friend ) figured out an solution to
the problem, in switching my brand new ata133 ide-cable to an "old
school" ata33 ide-cable FreeBSD sets my drives to UDMA3 and boots up
alright..

key commands here:

atacontrol list
and
atacontrol mode <channel number>

( my buddy had come across some message telling about how SiS had
created an new "SiS 5513" chipset with the same tag.. unfortunal he
didn't remember where that message were. But it would make sense why
FreeBSD tryies  to use UDMA5 on my UDMA3 only atachipset.. )