Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:45:32 -0500
From:      Walter Artica <walter.artica@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMB (smbfs) infrastructure work - Status update

Hi.

First of all, sorry for the delay.

Now, about the project progress:
* The first week was spent mostly preparing the tools needed. After
several installations and buildings of different versions of the
kernel, the development and testing environment was set off.
* The second week was mostly dedicated to studying the smbfs package
structure and localization across the kernel source and comparing it
to Darwin's smbfs (which is available as an isolated package). There
are many differences between them; the code was severely reengineered
by Apple. So, I've decided to specify two phases for the project:
 - 1st stage (until mid-term): Make smbfs MPSAFE.
 - 2nd stage (rest of period): Merge enhancements from Darwin's smbfs
implementation.
I think this is needed as Darwin's smbfs would require quite many
stubs and/or layers to work properly on FreeBSD, as there are many
MacOS dependencies present on it. One operating system at a time is, I
think, a judicious choice.

So, just now I'm dissecting our smbfs, and at the same time getting to
know all the required kernel interfaces.
I must add that smbfs is poorly documented; writing a few pages on its
internals will be an essential part of the first part of the project.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Walter Artica.