Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:04:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        res03db2@gte.net (Robert Clark)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), cattelan@thebarn.com (Russell Cattelan), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jar@integratus.com (Jack Rusher), sam@errno.com (Sam Leffler), zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhiui Zhang), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

> Terry,
> 	Did you hear anything positive from SGI
> about the possibility of porting XFS?
> 	[RC]

The last thing I heard was a second hand offer to consider
releasing under a different license, with the requirement
that someone couldn't make the thing into a product on its
own.

I don't really have parameters beyond that.  It appears to
me that the LGPL would be unacceptable, from that standpoint.

If they are willing to have it be part of a larger product
(my thinking here is that they want indemnification, which
comes easily that way), then there are some obvious ways to
write the license.  IBM Alphaworks, and Sun's SLPv1 license
has a similar restriction on "this can't be a product, without
additional work".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---