Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 15:40:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Yun-Ching Lee <ycl+@CMU.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com, Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BUG with vt100 terminal emulation

Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd.questions: 29-May-98 Re: BUG
with vt100 terminal.. by Paul Dekkers@cgu.nl
> I know this problem, because I had the same one. If you try to telnet from
> the console of a FreeBSD box to a non-FreeBSD box it won't accept that
> much because of your different terminal settings, not even when you set
> the term to vt100, however then most of the things work.
> If you want real vt100 emulation, you have to start 'screen'... Then all
> problems are over: you can just telnet to other hosts as much as you want
> and it will work!

FreeBSD's console driver does not claim to emulate vt100 terminals, so
naturally it won't work.

When you telnet to a remote host that does not recognize the terminal
type, use the following for the respective OS.

sun-24      SunOS/Solaris
scoansi     Linux

I don't know about other OS's, but I think ansi should work just fine.

> Shouldn't this be standard?

If more UNIX vendors incorporate FreeBSD's console termcap definition
into their shipping termcap, then it'll become standard.

--
Yun-Ching (Allen) Lee                   ycl+@cmu.edu
"There is no such thing as a good influence...  All influence is immoral."