Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:38:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Transmissions :) Was: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Chris BeHanna wrote:
> >
> >     I don't subscribe to -chat, but it's funny that this particular
> > message made it into my inbox anyway, what with me unintentionally
> > becoming very, very familiar with the transmissions of three different
> > motorcycles ('82 Roadster, '91 ZX-11, and '75 Honda CB360T.  My '77
> > BMW is due for an infamous spline lube...hmm).
>
> I hear that lubricating a BMW motorcycle causes the Lucas
> Electric ignition system to go out.  Other common causes
> of failure are:
>
> o	Riding your BMW motorcycle
> o	Not riding your BMW motorcycle
> o	Finding someone who can sell you the funny BMW
> 	batteries, and intending to buy one
> o	Telling jokes about the Queen or a member of the
> 	royal family, particularly a Prince Charles "ear
> 	joke"
> o	Reading the "Lucas" label out loud, three times,
> 	during or immediately following a full moon
> o	Looking at it funny

    That'd all be a neat trick, given that BMW electrics were made by
Robert Bosch.  :)

    The more common foibles are well-documented on
http://www.airheads.org/ .  We can start with the Rube Goldberg
throttle cable arrangement, move to the ridiculous oil filler
location, skip on to the very funky cable-operated front brake master
cylinder, take a stop by the ever so pitiful
if-God-had-intended-motorcycles-to-have-brakes-he-wouldn't-have-given-you-engine-braking
ATE front caliper, and so on, and so on, and so on.

    I *will* say this:  the Russell Day-long saddle and riding
position provide much more comfort than my Hayabusa.  Too bad I have
to give up more than 100 horses to get it.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)