Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:39:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HOME on nfs, login cannot stat .login_conf

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD running where the users have their homedirectories
> on NFS mounted filesystems that reside on some Dec DUNIX alpha stations
> just FWIW.
>
> One of these users recently changed his directory from 755 to 750
> and since then he cannot login anymore at the FreeBSD system.
>
> After typing the username, before entering the password, the message
>
> cannot stat .login_conf
>
> with the said homedirectory prepended.
>
> That is FreeBSD 2.2.5, I believe.

I had the same problem with 2.2.6-R. The reason is: If the home
directories are exported without root access for the remote system, the
login program cannot look for the .login_conf in the users home. The bug
has been fixed in -stable shortly after 2.2.6-R was published. I compiled
the login program from -stable to fix the problem. Similar problems may
arise with ftp access (ftpd) but I'm not sure.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _______
// Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH GÖttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/ // /
// Am Faßberg, D-37077 GÖttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___/____/
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve -----
//                                                http://www.freebsd.org
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de