Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 1996 18:04:24 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mail

Chuck Robey wrote:
> I need to do something about getting my mail via pop, and I noticed that
> there's two pop ports in ports/mail, popclient and popper.  Could I get a
> recommendation on this, I don't want to have to become a mail expert to
> get my mail from the university to my home machine.

We use both at work.

popper is the program (actually its a daemon) that is run on the machine
that has your mailbox. It is lauched by inetd when a tcp connection
on port 110 is made, and serves mail from youyr mailbox to you. It
has authentication and other necessary features. This should run
on the work machine.

popclient is the "other half". It connects to a popper (or other pop
daemon) and fetches your mail, which it then delivers to "this"
machine using /bin/mail. This should run on your home machine.

You also need a mechanism to send mail. I recommend you use sendmail
in a batching mode, and force a queue delivery when your connection
is live.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key