Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2006 01:14:51 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@magnesium.net>
Subject:   "Fatal trap 18"

	This is to any kernel exerts on-list.   I'm more stumped right
	now than if I'd seen Elvis and had a DNA confirmation..
	A few hours ago I was working away on another server while ssh'd
	into tao.thought.org.  When I realized it wasn't responding,  I
	buttoned over on my KVM to find the first fatal err in years. Maybe
	the first ever since FreeBSD 2.0.5.  It read

	"Fatal trap 18" blah**3

	"panic: integer divide fault".

	I've lost several hundred gig, but nothing I can't replace.  What
	gets me is that no matter how I Set the BIOS, it always boots --or
	tries to-- from the single hard drive.  I have all three set to
	"CDROM"; no matter I run into the boot error. I have managed to get
	to the menu of misc choices.  "boot /boot/kernel.old" works, but it
	says to hit return and then instead of booting to the older
	kernel, it hits the fatal trap.  It's like there are bloody
	ghosts in the system:)

	So what's the bottom line?  This 5-year-old box has no floppy; I
	only have one usable   hand so can't unscrew another floppy drive
	and boot from that [[&c]].  Is there anything I can do to reboot
	from the menu-driven list?

	tia, folks,

	gary

	PS:  I was building gimp when this happened.

	PPS: stats: 5.4, #5. ballpark 700Mhz, 3/4th G memory, 200G drive.

--
Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | kline@magnesium.net
            Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site