Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:09:23 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        Lonnie Santella <lonniesantella@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Logging the message body from an MTA

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:22:44PM +0000, Lonnie Santella wrote:
> I need to log the message body of incoming and outgoing messages on my
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 Release server. I'm running Exim right now, but I really
> don't have a preference of MTA. The main thing is I need to facilitate the
> logging of message bodies.
>
> I don't want to flood you with too many details, but we want to archive
> messages (including message body) to a MySQL database, so that we can
> quickly run queries and review messages from months/years ago - no matter
> who's mailbox it ended up in.
>
> To accomplish this, we need to <first> log the message body somehow...
> anyhow... then commit the logs to the MySQL database.
>
> I'd settle for learning how to do the first step. I've read through Exim
> docs and Sendmail docs, as well as various newsgroups - plenty of info on
> logging various data - but nothing on message bodies. I posted a message to
> the Exim news group - but no luck there.
>
> I'm not set on Exim - I just want to log message bodies. Any help or a push
> in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

If it helps, there's a reply on the exim-users list about archiving all
email passing through the mta 'unseen'.  I'll paste the relevant parts,
for the whole thread you might want to check out the MARC mailing list
archives - you should be able to find the thread by searching on the
subject line or one of the other identifying headers.

As for the rest of your problem, no doubt it's been done before of
course, the hard part is finding out how :P  The exim list is worth
checking out if you decide to go down that route, the people on that
list are very knowledgeable and it has probably been done before.

Here is the mail in question re archiving messages anyway: