Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2020 16:52:01 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
Subject:   Re: (very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 4:38 PM Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
wrote:

> Medical recordings are important and might require TiBs of storage.
> Collecting data by fitness trackers for self-optimisation is data waste
> that shouldn't exist.

These days there is a very fuzzy border between telemetric diagnostic grade
medical data and telemetric personal fitness data.   For example many of
the doctors that use my clients system first want to see the fitness
tracker data for a few months (at least) before deciding if a more formal
diagnostic test (using the client's system) is needed.   Some insurance
companies actually require this as a part of the approval of payment.  That
assumes the patient has a fitness tracker, if they don't then it is often a
fight between the doctor's billing dept and the insurance company.   For
this reason our system has to allow the tracker data to be uploaded and
looked at side by side with the diagnostic data when the test is complete
(to prove there is something the diagnostic data found/did not find that
the fitness didn't).   A few months worth of fitness data is easily a few
GB, multiplied by several thousand patients and needing near a PB of
storage for the backend is easy to see.

Side note I can't stand the XiB (X=K,M,G,etc.) notation vs. the XB
notation.   For one thing a Kibibit sounds like the name of a dog food and
not a measure of storage, mebibit sounds like the babalings of a baby,
gibibit sounds like type of monkey, etc.