Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:10:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.org>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   unable to boot.

Hi,

I understand now what went wrong with my second harddisk.
Okay, i believe freebsd has two was of partitioning right?
On is the normal way, starting the first partition at sector 63 and the
second way, the dangerous way, starting at sector 1 which is not common.
Perhaps freebsd has done that. Freebsd i installed at first on a harddisk.
Open and netbsd both have another disk geometry as freebsd and freebsd is
screaming about corrupted labels of net and openbsd and that the slices of
netbsd are not completly within the the partition.
I dont know what is really wrong.
WHat i do know, is that freebsd and netbsd dont get along to well,
concerning partitioning and creating labels.
Anyway..... i think its the way i said that freebsd has two ways of
partitioning. From now i cant boot freebsd anymore.
Cause the other os'ses see it as starting from sector 63.
Of course it could also mean the the bootloader is corrupted.
Another thing is when i installed the freebsd bootloader, netbsd could net
be booted anymore. Cause with installing the freebsd bootloader it added
its own geometry to the partitions and disk which arent right.
I used fdisk -u to correct it and netbsd boots again.
To be short.... i am not sure in the case wether freebsd starts really at
sector 1, or just at 63 with a corrupted bootloader.
Is there a way to recover the data which i have on my freebsd partitions?
Are there disks downloadable with which i can acces the slices on the
freebsd partition?
Could anyone help here?
Bye,

Reinoud.