Date:      27 Dec 2002 18:12:57 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network timeouts???

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 17:46, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> Stacey Roberts wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 15:32, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> >

> >>Im not really sure when the problem began, but I believe it was after
> >>upgrading to 4.7-RELEASE-p2.
> >>2 of the boxes running 4.7-RELEASE-p2 which are also running with Intel
> >>Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet cards,
> >>are getting numerous timeouts in the logs.
> >>
> >>fxp0: device timeout
> >>
> >>When connecting to these boxes, the connections are sluggish, to the
> >>point where I can type faster, that the command line can display.
> >>All boxes are connected on a 100Mb network via an SMC EZ-Switch SMC
> >>6308TX switch.
> >>The only thing that has changed in months, is software versions.
> >>The problem seems sporadic.  Can't seem to find out how or what is
> >>causing the problem.
> >>
> >>Is/was there a problem with the fxp drivers, or can someone direct me as
> >>to how one goes about to debug this problem.
> >>
> >>Thanks for any info you may provide...
> >>

> >Hi Gerard,
> >   If you connect to the box via ssh, then you might want to try using
> >the "-v" switch to ssh so as to get a more verbose output when
> >connecting.
> >
> >It should display evidence as to where in the connection any delays are
> >occurring as far as your sluggish connectivity is concerned.
> >
> >Do the cards themselves produce any information for you? Post some stats
> >from the nics as returned from:-
> >
> >netstat -in
> >
> hivemind# netstat -in
> Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
> Coll
> fxp0  1500  <Link#1>    00:80:29:12:90:b9   366170 27094   426767
> 31    10
> fxp0  1500  192.168.0     192.168.0.2       372504     -   432856
> -     -
> lo0   16384 <Link#2>                          9454     0     9454
> 0     0
> lo0   16384 127           127.0.0.1           3179     -     3179
> -     -

Hi Gerard,
   See here that the only transmission errors are for the Ierrs (27094
occurences.

This is an indication that fxp0 is collecting stats on late / undetected
collisions.

Please look at the stats for fxp0 with the command "ifconfig fxp0" and
place the output here. It would appears that fxp0 is *not* in full
duplex mode.

There is also something else to note - interfaces, operating at full
duplex don't actually perform collision detection for their own
respective operation (I am open to suggestions otherwise on this), but
they may well be capable of collecting collision stats for other hosts
on the subnet. As such, you might want to check the interfaces of other
hosts with which this box is networked.

Get back to the list with what data you are able to extract from fxp0
and other hosts as they case may be.

Regards,

Stacey

--