Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:46:53 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stopping named: rndc failed, trying killall: .

On Mar 8, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Noah wrote:
> So I Have 6.2 install on my machine and restarting named gets the
> following error.
>
> any clues what is creating this?
>
> # /etc/rc.d/named restart
> Stopping named: rndc failed, trying killall: .

By default, named runs in a chroot()ed environment under /var/named,
and thus the path to the PID file which rndc expects to find under /
var/run/named.pid actually gets put under /var/named/var/run/named.pid.

It would be nifty to make ndc/rndc smart enough to understand how to
find the pidfile under the chroot location.

--
-Chuck