Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:05:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeremy <thinker7777@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trying to get SSMTP (outbound mail) to work

Hi,

I'm new to FreeBSD, and I'm trying to get ssmtp to work instead of
sendmail.  I built ssmtp from the ports and got it installed and did the
'make replace' that I was instructed to do to have it replace sendmail as
my smtp mta.  However, I cannot get this to work.  I've noticed that I get
this message during startup:

Starting standard daemons: inetd cron sshd usbd
sendmail/user/sbin/sendmail: -bd is not supported by sSMTP sendmail. Use
rSMTP under inetd instead.

I'm not sure what this means.  I also get the following error if I try to
send an email:

mail: can't open the smtp port (25) on mail

Help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy