Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 20:52:20 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Complete FreeBSD, 3rd edition (was: Printed man pages (was: Looking for the best webmaster.))

> I think the better approach would be to consider a man pages book.  We
> had thought of this back in 1995, but we never got round to doing it.
> What do you people think?  The question isn't ``is it a good idea?'',
> it's ``would you buy one?''.

There are two issues here:  what should be in the main book and
is there a call for a man pages book?

I'd be happy to see the man pages for those very few programs
that you might have to run when the man pages really were not
available on line remain in the main book -- e.g., BSDI devote
about 60 pages for this purpose and that seems more than
enough.  I'd buy the 3rd edition to replace my 2nd edition if it
was cut down to something like that.

Because I have the O'Reilly set of 4.4 manuals, and because I'd
always have other machines at hand with man pages on line, I
would never buy another man pages book; but people who don't
have these resources should buy them -- provided it's *all* the
man pages, not just some big selection.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>