Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 1998 12:46:10 +0000
From:      Peter <peter@worldinternet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fatel trap9

 HI,

I have just got FreeBSD 2.2.5 and am trying to install it. I have tryied
to boot from the cd-rom and floppy disk. But get the following error:

 boot:
 booting 0:fd(0,a)kernel @ 0x279000
 text=0x12a000 data0x0 bss=0xa00 symbols=[+0x600+0x4+0x270+0x4+0x1f4]
 total=0x3a446c entry point=0x279000
 Uncompressing kernel...done
 Booting the kernel

 Fatel trap9: general protection fault while in kernel mode

 instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf01aad71
 stach pointer = 0x10:0xefbfff98
 framed pointer = 0x10:0xefbfffb0
 code segment = base 0x0 , limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b

 processor eflags = resume IOPL = 0
 current process = 0 ( )
 interrupt mask = net tty bio
 panic: general protection fault
 Automatic reboot in 15 sec - press a key on the console to abort

The configuration of my machine is as follows,

IBM 200 6x86MX
32 Mb EDO RAM
3.2 Gb HDD
2 Mb Cirrus Logic PCI Vga card
24x Matsushita Cd-rom Drive

I also have a PRI DOS partition with a size of 102 Mb on a FAT16. Which is
runing a windows 95 shell.

Does anyone know what the problem is and what to do about it.

PLEASE!!

		peter@worldinternet.net