Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 02:09:38 -0600
From:      Nigel Soon <ns@sundive.homeunix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   failure installing procmail from ports

Hello,

I'm can't seem to get procmail to install from the ports. I am running
4.6-RELEASE and am trying to install procmail-3.22.

I have included below the error I am getting when I do 'make install':

-----------
.
.
.
Initiating fcntl()/kernel-locking-support tests

Proceeding with kernel-locking-support tests in the background
Testing for const
Testing for volatile
Testing for enum

Your system appears to not (correctly) support at least one of:
const, volatile, function prototypes, and enum types.  Future
versions of procmail will probably require support for all of them,
so you should either upgrade your compiler to one that's compliant
with the ISO C standard (the standard's over 10 years old, for
goodness sake), or send email to <bug@procmail.org> explaining why
you need procmail to continue to support K&R C.

Checking for POSIX and ANSI/ISO system include files
Checking for network/comsat/biff support
Testing for void*, size_t, off_t, pid_t, time_t, mode_t, uid_t & gid_t
Checking realloc implementation
Testing for WIFEXITED(), WIFSTOPPED(), WEXITSTATUS() & WSIGTERM()
Testing for various struct passwd members
Testing for memmove, strchr, strpbrk, strcspn, strtol, strstr,
        rename, setrgid, setegid, pow, opendir, mkdir, waitpid, fsync,
        ftruncate, strtod, strncasecmp, strerror, strlcat,
        memset, bzero, and _exit
Determining the maximum number of 16 byte arguments execv() takes
Whoeaaa!  This actually can't happen.
You have a look and see if you detect anything uncanny:
In file included from includes.h:74,
                 from sublib.c:13,
                 from _autotst.c:3:
/usr/include/string.h:54: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `mem
cmp'
/usr/include/string.h:55: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `mem
cpy'
/usr/include/string.h:60: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `str
cmp'
/usr/include/string.h:62: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `str
cpy'
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lgcc
I suggest you take a look at the definition of LDFLAGS*
in the Makefile before you try make again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/procmail/work/procmail-3.22/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/procmail/work/procmail-3.22.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/procmail.

I'm a little bit lost here and apreciate any help.

Thanks,

Nigel