Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:41:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        davidw@master.debian.org, tlambert@primenet.com, grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD/Linux 'distribution'

> But would it be infected with the GPL virus?  I doubt anyone here in
> BSD-land would be at all interested, if it were to be.

[ ... ]

> I doubt you'll hear an considerable shouting over it.  Our license
> allows you to do whatever you want with the code, including compile
> it, run it, GPL it, smoke it, or get it tattooed onto your behind.
> You just have to give credit where it's due.

You *can't* "GPL it".  The GPL specifically states "no other restrictions".
The "claim credit caluse" (or "advertising clause", as it commonly
referred to) is a restriction that results in a license conflict.

Specifically, sentence 2 of section 6 of:

	http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

reads:

	You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
	exercise of the rights granted herein.

And no, whoever else is reading this, I don't want to discuss the
merits of this fact.  Contact RMS yourself and ask him, it's his
license; he'll be happy to tell you why there's a conflict, and
pretty much anything else that you ever wanted to know but were
afraid someone would tell you:

	mailto:rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu

(I'm pretty sure this address still works).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.