Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:24:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   make install problem

hi all, I'm running into problems installing packages on my 2.2.7 box.  I
am installing them via ftp from the ports collection, and I suspect the
root of my problem might be because I get a bit confused when I unpack the
file, 227upgrade.tgz.

When I type "tar xvf 227upgrade.tgz ," I get a listing of all the files
in the package, but I don't see a directory named "227upgrade," which is
what I am used to seeing when I uncompress a file (ok, I'm sure those of
you who've read my previous mails must know I'm quite new at this).
How do I compile/make the upgrade to a stable version (as far as the ports
are concerned, that is)

I suspect the fact that I'm not adding the stable upgrade properly is the
reason why I have problems with makefiles on my machine.

When I su and try to gmake a port, say, for png, I get the following
messages:

highlow# gmake install clean
Makefile:25: *** missing separator.  Stop.
highlow#

Please help!  Thanks!

--Alissa
running 2.2.7