Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:52:49 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which processor?

I would like to get a computer to do my processor intensive math
calculations under the FreeBSD operating system.  Today I went to my
local computer store, and they offered me a couple of possibilities:

Asus A7V266-E Motherboard
with 2GHz AMD Athlon XP
or
Tyan S2460 Dual MP Socket A
with dual AMD 1.8 GHz Athlon MP.

I am wondering which is the best way to go, and I really don't
understand how the dual processors would work.  Let me ask some
questions about the dual option.  (I am asking here, because I
specifically want to know how FreeBSD will work with this system.)

1.  If I run one program, will it only use one of the MP processors?
2.  If I run two seperate programs, will they each use one of the MP
processors, and each go with the speed of 1.8GHz, in effect running the
programs as if they are on two seperate 1.8GHz computers.
3.  The salesperson I was speaking two said that these processors were
designed to talk to each other in some way - I think he used the phrase
"sharing threads."  What does this mean?

Thanks for any info you can provide me,

Stephen

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith