Date:      Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:51:20 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tips for using CVS for managing maintained ports ?

Hi,

I currently maintain 14 ports with good chances to pass at least 20 in
the next 2-3 weeks. As I don't have a commit bit usually my work goes
like this:
- I submit a PR
- which sits from 1 to 10 days in GNATS
- meanwhile I continue to work on the port
- eventually the PR is committed.

Some ports have a quite active development (e.g. for dspam-devel I
could bring in bug-fixes/enhancement each 2-3 days); or I need to merge
my modifications since submitting the PR and those eventually made by
the commiter w/o forgetting the changes I made until I submit the next
PR, etc. Plus I'm working on at least 2 machines (one at home and one
at work) and occasionally other two.

Managing all this by hand has became to costly so now I use RCS and a
copy of the port in the same /usr/ports/category dir (I keep
my /usr/ports up-to-date with cvsup); but I can't have subdirs (e.g.
files) in RCS; and I would like to simplify the testing made by other
RoFUG members on various platforms / OS versions.

Now since I'm not very found of reinventing the wheel I thought to ask
around how do you use CVS for managing you ports rather that
experimenting until I get it right.

Do you have a complete copy of the Ports Tree (instead of /usr/ports or
other place) ?

And how do you manage your working versions - using a branch (i.e. the
Makefile is the Ports Tree is at v1.23 and you work on 1.23.1.x until
you submit/commit the next version and the you work on 1.24.1.x,
etc.) ? How do you keep your local repo in sync with the freebsd.org
one ?

Any tips, doc pointers, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

BOFH excuse #169: