Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2009 02:03:35 -0400
From:      grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and SATA Port Multipliers

In the somewhat related dept...

The SiI3124 and SiI3726 seem to be *really*
popular chipsets for low cost JBOD setups
so I'm sure any work done towards this
will be a win. The only other chip I see
a lot of is the Marvell 88SX6041 and 88SX6081.
Any others, particularly of the eight port
generic card variety or other multipliers???
I'm not sure if JMicron ever got into the 4/8 port
game.

A somewhat related diversion:
http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

And without the fab... you'd be amazed what a
bicycle inner tube, scrap pc case lids, tin snips,
hammer, anvil, drill bit, and a pop rivet tool will yield ;-)