Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:46:55 -0500
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: DOC obstructs encryption export again - Non USA crypto base again ?

> As far as I have been able to uncover, this settlement is about a
> commercial closed source component, using specific hardware-crypto-assist,=
 for which no programming details have been made publically available.

I have strong reason to believe this was about Intel's EP89579 (Tolapai) "Qu=
ickAssist" core.=20

In 2009 or 2010, FreeBSD was offered a driver, with attached source code, fr=
om an Intel engineer in Ireland on one of our lists.

Intel also had a NIC with the same core available during the period covered b=
y the complaint against Wind River.=20

If it was QuickAssist, then said details are available for its descendants o=
n 01.org, and in recent Linux trees.=20

jmg@, eri@ and a few others have been investigating a FreeBSD driver for sam=
e.=20

At the end of the day, "nothing to see here, move along."

Jim