Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:53:30 -0600
From:      Laurence Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.dyn.dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different OS's? Marketshare

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Laurence Sanford writes:
>

>>Well, I don't use KDE because I don't particularly like heavyweight
>>software unless I need it ...
>>

>Heavyweight in the sense of resources required, or complexity, or what?
>
>I got the impression that KDE was the one that everyone used.
>
>Which window manager most closely approximates the GUI of traditional
>UNIX workstations?
>
>Is it possible to install multiple X servers on the same machine so that
>one can fire up whichever one strikes one's fancy at a given time?

In the sense of resource usage is what I mean when I say heavy weight.
While KDE is quite popular, there are probly (litterally) hundreds of
window managers that will run under X, so saying "Everyone uses N window
manager" is going to be patently false.

You'll only need one X server - what you're looking at having multiple
versions of is the window manager. That's what runs over top of X to
provide the style.