Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:36:25 -0500
From:      "Jerry Bell" <jerry@bellnetworks.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ps, w, top and netstat problem

It seems like no matter what I do, I am still get this problem.  I had
originally installed 4.0RELEASE on this box, and it worked perfectly.

I ran mergemaster to make sure all the configuration files were up to date.
I copied cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev and ran a ./MAKEDEV all.

I just tried removing the 'options PROCFS' from the kernel config and
recompiled.  After a reboot, I get the same thing.

I ran another make buildworld and make installworld, so the ps, w, top and
netstat binaries are _definately_ in sync with the kernel.  I removed all
compiler options during this make world.

I recompiled the kernel with PROCFS back in, rebooted and still the same
error:

dogbert# w
 9:30AM  up 9 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
w: proc size mismatch (31320 total, 1056 chunks): Undefined error: 0
dogbert# ps
ps: proc size mismatch (24012 total, 1056 chunks)
dogbert# top
kvm_open: proc size mismatch (31320 total, 1056 chunks)
top: Out of memory.
dogbert# netstat -a
dogbert#
dogbert# uname -a
FreeBSD dogbert.bellnetworks.net 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #2: Sun Mar
26 09:19:03 EST 2000
jerry@dogbert.bellnetworks.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
dogbert# which ps
/bin/ps
dogbert# ls -l /bin/ps
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  203000 Mar 26 09:11 /bin/ps
dogbert#

Any ideas on how I can fix this, or what other info would be helpful to
track this down?

Thanks for the help,

Jerry