Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:42:46 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Strange SCSI QIC tape behaviour

On Friday, 12th March 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

>> So, is this the most bizarre drive on Earth, or perhaps are there bugs in
>> the SCSI tape driver that need addressing?  At the very least, the fixed
>> block size for QIC tapes should be 1024 not 512 for densities above QIC-320.
>
>Yes, that's a bug for me to address. Where is this piece of information
>from?

Jörg described the situation quite well.  But if you want to see Tandberg's
view on it, read http://www.tandberg.com/download/manuals/42304206.pdf.  It
looks quite detailed and comprehensive.  For the rest of their QIC info try
http://www.tandberg.com/slr/slr_docs.html.

So, do you think the other problems I raised are possible bugs, or simply
drive quirks?  For example, if I read a fixed blocked tape in variable block
mode it works (a bit of a surprise) but is very slow.  When I tell it to
use fixed blocks (1024 bytes) it works at full speed.  The driver never works
it out for itself.

Stephen.