Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:39:28 +0000
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
To:        Desmond Chapman <que_deseja@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports problem

Desmond Chapman wrote:
> /usr/X11R6 exists, but it is not a symlink. Installation cannot proceed.
> This looks like an incompletely removed old version of X.  In the current version, /usr/X11R6 must be a symlink if it exists at all.Please read /usr/ports/UPDATING (entry of 20070519) for the procedure to upgrade X.org related ports.*** Error code 1

Hi Desmond,

When I was faced with this error I did the obvious thing and created a
symlink, then restarted the install. Of course time will probably prove
it to be an utterly boneheaded thing to do, but it seems to work for now.

# mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6-2
# ln -s /usr/X11R6-2 /usr/X11R6
# make install

Regards,