Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:31:54 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Graham Menhennitt <gmenhennitt@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Panic

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Graham Menhennitt wrote:

>>> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>>>>

>> I have the same panic reproducibly. Shutting off nfs_server_enable (i.e.
>> mountd) in rc.conf prevents it. This is with 6-STABLE cvsupped yesterday.
>> I'll get some more info and follow up the PR.
>>
> I rebuilt my kernel (to enable debugging) and now it doesn't panic. So it
> seems that an old kernel (from around the end of May) with a new mountd
> (from Sunday) will crash. But a new kernel with a new mountd won't.

FYI, I've managed to reproduce this on a 7-CURRENT kernel, so will try to take
a look at this in detail in the next few days.  It looks like a race during
socket connect/accept for UNIX domain sockets, likely involving simultaneous
close, which may be a sign of a bug in mountd (or the like) that triggers it.
Of course, the kernel shouldn't panic under those circumstances. :-)

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge