Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:44:25 -0700
From:      "Robert J. Neilson" <neilson@istar.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   eisa 3c905b

i am trying to install freeBSD on an older 486. I have a 3c905b (combo
eisa card). the visual config editor doesn't show any drivers for this
when I expand the lists ... but the kernel seems to find the card. it
calls it an 'ep0'. however, it gets all confused about irq's. it tries
one number (irq 9 for ep0), and gets 'eeprom timed out' or something to
that, later in it tries irq 5 for ep1 (there is only one card), and it
seems to detect it etc, then everything hangs.

I have set the irq values in the eisa ethernet card using the 3com
supplied utility. I have tried various slots and irq values, but to no
avail.

The machine is scsi and this stuff is detected ok. i would like to have
a pentium, but I don't.

the real insult in all of this is that the card works fine with ms
windows. I don't really know where to look now, or what to do (except to
use windows - which I don't really want to do <i would rather use cpm>).

any pointers or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rob