Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:33:52 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NTPD hangs on boot

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>On 2004-06-03 20:59, Edward Carmody <ecarmody@hudsonvalleynetworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> Recently did a cvsup and make world procedure, have a couple glitches.
>
>- Which version of FreeBSD are you running?
>
>- What version did you update to?

In my experience, ntp hanging on boot usually means the network is down
and/or DNS isn't working properly.  The AMD automounter does the same
thing.

My usual workaround it to boot into single user mode, and add exit commands
to the startup scripts for ntp and amd so they don't attempt to start.
Once I have everything on the network working, most particularly DNS, then
I remove these exit commands.

On machines running SYSV scripts (e.g. OpenPKG.org things on FreeBSD) that
aren't generally on the network, I put an exit immediately after the
``start'' case where I can comment it out to start the service when on the
network.  This allows the ``stop'' function to work properly if the service
is running, preventing locking problems that might occur if the exit were
at the top of the script.

--
Bill
--

``My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
from too much government.'' --Thomas Jefferson.