Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:51:17 +0100
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org>
To:        FreeBSD-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No FM synthesizer in PCI soundblasters?

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:13:57 +0100
>
> "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a FreeBSD machine that's playing music via it's SoundBlaster
> > PCI128. I want to create some beep's with it, during the music, through
> > the soundcard.
> >
> > Opening /dev/midi0 or /dev/sequencer0 just gives "Device not configured".
> > And opening /dev/dsp0 and trying for example ioctl "SNDCTL_SYNTH_INFO",
> > gives me "Invalid argument".
> >
> > Is my PCI-soundcard just not equipped with a FM synthesizer, or am I
> > missing something here?
> >
> > What I am trying to do is playing short tones while some other program is
> > playing sound. If there is any other way to do this, other than
> > in-software mixing the two streams (music & tones) into one, I would like
> > to know how :)
>
> You could let the FreeBSD kernel mix the two streams for you, by using
> vchans. Try playing with the sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans (I have it set to 4)
> and then opening /dev/dsp0.[0123].
>
> It works quite OK for me, for example I have XMMS set to use /dev/dsp0.3,
> so other programs won't give me a "Device busy" if I try to utilize
> /dev/dsp while I'm playing an MP3...

The system is currently running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE, and it has no "vchans".
Since what version of FreeBSD is this feature included?

But I would still prefere to use a FM synthesizer for this job, since I only
want some beep's.
Having the kernel mix two streams into one looks to me as a waste of
CPU-cycles on the Pentium-133 I set up for this job, if it is also possible
to just turn on/off a simple tone and let the soundblaster take care of the
mixing...

--
Control the lights in my room:
http://www.Danovitsch.dnsq.org/webcam