Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:05:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   webserver configuration

I am moving a webserver running BSDI 3.1 to FreeBSD 4.2 and have a couple of
question about how to configure/manage things in away compatible with FreeBSD's
/etc structure.

1) ifconfig aliases: in BSDI these go in /etc/rc.local. I would prefer not to
   have these in rc.conf because of frequency of changes. Does anyone use
   another file? Pro and cons of doing that?

2) Because things like logs/email and so forth are kind of unbounded as we
   charge by space, these things have been in a /home partition. I would like to
   back up logs weekly (at most) but user data daily. What are things people
   have found useful in this regard?

3) Anyone using Bru? I used this on BSDI with good success more as a tar
   replacement than for system backup. I have not timed it against dump on
   FreeBSD but if it is too much slower I intend to use dump. With I I get > 3.1
   kb/sec with a block size of 32 or 64 kb which is slightly faster than the
   manual says the drive, a Sony dds4 should go.

   I noticed in Mike Meyer's cool script he does not seem to use blocksize, any
   reason not to?

5) My final question is about tape drives. I seem to get about 3 years out of a
   tape drive (dumping 6 days/week 95% of the time). Should I be able to do
   better than that spending $700 or less for a drive?

Thank you for any comments and suggestions,

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com
Voice: 301-469-8766