Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2014 04:26:02 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Same boot SSD: 8GByte PowerMac G5 Dual boots fine; 12GByte and 16GByte PowerMac G5 Quad cores usually hang...

I should have also mentioned that I've never had any PowerMac G5 fail to =
boot from powerpc/GENERIC boot SSDs, only from powerpc64/GENERIC64 ones. =
For example:

FreeBSD FBSDG4S0 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r271215: Sat =
Sep  6 23:56:15 PDT 2014     root@FBSDG4S0:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  =
powerpc

always has worked. (This, of course, largely ignores most of the 8GByte+ =
of RAM.) This is true no matter what I've done after booting before =
trying to reboot (or shutdown -p now then power on), such as use =
startxfce4 (which is the way I normally start Xorg). (See below for why =
I mention startxfce4 as the example here.)

Now narrowing the context down to the problematical Quad Core PowerMac =
G5's where I frequently see the boot problem with powerpc64/GENERIC64...

But on thinking of this I realized something else: After such a =
powerpc/GENERIC boot of a Quad Core G5 PowerMac the first boot after =
switching to a powerpc64/GENERIC64 boot SSD also always worked. For =
example the fairly modern:

FreeBSD FBSDG5S1 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r271243: Mon =
Sep  8 06:28:03 UTC 2014     =
root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/sys/GENERI=
C64  powerpc

does in my experiments. And in experimenting I've discovered that I can =
then reboot using that powerpc64/GENERIC64 SSD over and over just fine =
--as long as I do not use startxfce4/Xorg at any point. (I've not tried =
other Xorg uses in any of my activities.)

But if I use startxfce4 then after that I have blank-screen/fans-spin-up =
problems for many/most later reboots (or shutdown -p now then power on) =
--until I go back and boot from the powerpc/GENERIC SSD.

This description holds for both the 12GByte Quad Core PowerMac G5 and =
the 16 GByte one. (Both have NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT's, unfortunately. I =
currently do not have access to a Radeon for PCI-Express PowerMacs. Nor =
to some other NVIDIA card for them. No comparison/contrast material to =
try.)

(I'll keep monitoring for a violation of this pattern in my future use. =
But I've not noticed an violation of the pattern yet.)

This suggests some sort of recording that carries over context across =
reboots and even across power-off/power-on --a recording that is messed =
up after startxfce4 and cleaned up by powerpc/GENERIC use. Possibly =
problems configuring the GeForce 7800 GT cards if they can carry such a =
context across off/on.

It also tends to mean that just having the large amount of RAM is not =
sufficient context to initiate the boot problem.

The only other PowerMac G5 I've access to has Radeon video hardware, =
PCI-X/AGP instead of PCI-Express, and has 8 GBytes of RAM (its limit), =
single-core processors (2 of them). (I do not have access to a NVIDIA =
video board for this PowerMac G5.) This PowerMac G5 does not show the =
problem when I experiment with it, at least not with modern builds. I =
can use startxfce4 and I do not have later boot problems.

[I have updated my ports and have picked up the updated Xorg, drivers, =
and the change to lang/gcc being 4.8.3. The recent experiments have that =
new context involved.]

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net