Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:33:42 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        yliao@pacbell.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about installing FreeBSD 2.2.6

On Saturday, 26 December 1998 at 15:38:44 -0800, yliao@pacbell.net wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 22 December 1998 at 22:42:32 -0800, yliao@pacbell.net wrote:
>>> Dear Sir:
>>>
>>> I have a Dell Dimension XPS P100. It contains following components:
>>> Logitec System Mouse, 4X CD-ROM (IDE), US Robotics V.34 Sportster
>>> Data/Fax Modem (28.8), Creative Labs AWE32 Wavetable Soundcard, #9 Tri
>>> Graphics Accelerator PCI (2MB DRAM), 1 GB EIDE hard drive, 6.4 GB EIDE
>>> hard drive.
>>>
>>> When I tried to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 to my computer, I failed. The
>>> procedure I used is:
>>> a. Boot from CD-ROM.
>>> b. In the Kernel Configuration Menu, select Start kernel configuration
>>> in Visual Mode.
>>> c. Delete those devices my computer does not have ( but I do not know
>>> how I can add the information about Soundcard).
>>> d. Save changes and continue.
>>
>> You don't really need to do this under normal circumstances.  You can
>> shoot yourself in the foot by removing things you don't know you need.
>>
>>> After probing floppy, serial ports and hard drive etc. successfully, the
>>> system was locked up. Only the message "Probing devices, please wait ...
>>> " was displayed on the screen with blue background and never exited from
>>> such a state.
>>>
>>> Could somebody show me what is wrong with my installation and what I
>>> should do to solve installation problem. Thank you very much for your
>>> help.
>>
>> I'd guess that you have a hole in your foot.  Try again without
>> modifying the configuration.  If it still hangs up at this point,
>> press Alt-F2, which should display the ``behind the scenes''
>> information.  The last few lines should be interesting.  At this
>> point, you could also try removing your modem and sound board and see
>> if it continues like that (don't worry, you'll be able to replace
>> them, but it helps us to figure out what's going on).

Did you try this?  You don't say whether you modified the
configuration or not.

>>> P.S.: following is the detailed information about my computer:
>>>
>>>     Function:  Serial Port
>>>     not disabled, not locked, no config error
>>>     I/O port:  (3E8h-3EFh)
>>>     Interrupt: 4(sh)
>>
>> You'll have to find a different interrupt for your second serial
>> port.  You can't share interrupts on serial ports.

Not currently your problem.

>>> === Current Configuration of unknown ISA card (ID: DEL0183) ===
>>>     # of functions = 3
>>>     slot # = 1
>>>
>>>     Function   #1
>>>     not disabled, not locked, no config error
>>>     I/O port:  (220h-233h) (300h-301h) (388h-38Bh)
>>>     DMA:       1  5
>>>     Interrupt: 5
>>>
>>>     Function   #2
>>>     not disabled, not locked, no config error
>>>     I/O port:  (200h-207h)
>>>
>>>     Function   #3
>>>     not disabled, not locked, no config error
>>
>> Is this the sound board?

You didn't answer this question.

> When my computer hangs up during installation, following message is displayed
> after pressing Alt-F2:
>
> "DEBUG: ioctl (3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (Success)
> DEBUG: Found a network device named lp0
> atapi1.0: invalid command phase, ireason=0xd8,
> status=d8<busy,ready,opdone,drq>,
>               error=d8<mchg>"
>
> Even if I removed the modem and sound board from my computer, the
> computer still hangs at the same point and the same message is
> displayed.

The last two lines indicate a problem with your CD-ROM.  What kind is
it?  You'll probably be a lot better off with 2.2.8; we've been
chasing compatibility problems with IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROMs for a long
time, and it's quite possible that it's been fixed since.  You can
also check that the CD-ROM is in the primary slave position, which
used to make a difference in older versions of FreeBSD.

Greg