Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:51:03 -0800
From:      Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel module

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:34:47 +1030
Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 23 March 2004 at 13:26:32 -0600, Brian Henning wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Could someone explain howto move something that is part of the
> > kernel and make it a kernel module?
> > for example the pcm, /modules/pcm.ko
>
> This is probably something for the -hackers list, though you're likely
> to get an answer like "read the code of an existing module and figure
> it out for yourself".  Unfortunately, I don't know of any
> documentation, though there could be some.

Although I can't answer the question (as it's fairly general and I'm
sure it varies depending on exactly what part of the kernel you want to
move into a kernel module), these docs may help:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/
  http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200010/blueprints.html
  http://www.itsx.com/hal2001/fbsdfun.html

-Chris