Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:44:34 -0800
From:      Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>
To:        Rapha?l Ding? <raphael.dinge@ohmforce.com>
Cc:        Brian <bri@sonicboom.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X over ethernet is too much slow...

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 02:51:10AM +0100, Rapha?l Ding? wrote:
> >Using compression flag on the ssh client ?
>
> What would be a good value ? Should I only test ? Do I need to
> reboot after having set those values using sysctl ?

I don't think that in your environment the network latency is
high enough to justify modifying sendspace and recvspace from
their default values. You don't have to reboot your machine
for changes to them to take effect.

What does the CPU utilization look like on each machine? How
much of that is the SSH process? How many bytes per second is
traveling across the interface when you're playing your game?
If SSH isn't eating a lot of your CPU because not a whole lot
of data is being transferred, you should maybe look elsewhere
for the bottleneck. Try a different color depth - maybe 16bpp
or even 8bpp would speed things up.

Marcus