Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 11:50:12 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        Philip Gollucci <p6m7g8@mac.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Oronico Gold card with FreeBSD4.5 laptop

On 5/9/2002 2:57, "Philip Gollucci" <p6m7g8@mac.com> wrote:

> I've got a home network setup with a wireless d-linik access point which
> works fine.
> I've also got DHCP setup with it.
<snip>

> In my kernel, I've added
> device pcic0 at isa?
> device pcic1 at isa?
> device card
> device wi
This should all be correct - I have not set this card up for quite some time
and wish (now that you have asked the question) that I had written down
exactly what I did...

> during boot up, the card gets probed and the mac address is correct.
> I also get the pccardd started inserted and started messages with the
> WaveLAN/IEEE
>
> however, I get no ip address to go with it.
>
> I tried adding one manually although my ifconfig knowledge is definetely
> lacking.
> ifconfig wi0 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.1
>
> after that my netstat -r shows
> loopback device ok
> 192.168.1 linke#2 UC 0 0 wi0
> which is close but not quite correct.
>
> What do I have to do to get the DHCP working with the card... me thinks
> I need to add something to my /etc/rc.conf but I don't know what.
>
> From looking on the mailing list, I don't see people having much sucess
> with this card.

I have the same exact card and got it working on FreeBSD in about 5 min vs.
trying to tinker w/ Linux for about 1 1/2 hrs...  Anyway, I found the
information I needed at www.freebsddiary.org (which does not appear to be
working for me right now).  My rc.conf file looked something like this:

<--begin example rc.conf-->
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sat Mar 23 08:30:38 2002
# Created: Sat Mar 23 08:30:38 2002
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hostname="rdtp.rdnet.net"
pccard_ifconfig="inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0"
linux_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
<--end example rc.conf-->

Note the two marked lines.  In your case, it appears you are trying to set
the gateway through the ifconfig command.  If you are not changing networks
frequently, then have this information set in your rc.conf file (IMHO).
Instead, however, writing:

pccard_ifconfig="inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Try:

pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"

Reading the man for rc.conf, I found this segment:

pccard_ifconfig     (str) List of arguments to be passed to ifconfig(8) at
                    boot time or on insertion of the card (e.g. "inet
                    192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0" for a fixed address
                    or "DHCP" for a DHCP client).

You will also need to configure a pccard.conf file.  Because I neither have
access to my laptop right now, nor can I get the article on freebsddiary.org
that I used, I cannot remember how this is set up (again, another lesson in
not writing things down and expecting help pages to always be available on
the net :( )  You should configure a pccard.conf file and set your ssid and
wep key (if needed) for the Orinoco card on top of all of this.

I apologize for this being only a half answer, but hopefully it will get you
started in the right direction.  If you are getting used to technical
manuals, try checking the "man rc.conf" and "man pccard.conf" - they are
"thick" for newbies (also at times for me), but full of the information you
need to get this configured.

HTH,
Steve