Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 10:07:33 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

> I'm not familiar with service packs. However, I can certainly tell the
> difference between doing a "make world" and installing a patch from
> Sun. The patch doesn't change every system binary.

However, with FreeBSD, a future patch will not undo the patch I just
installed.  Sun has a history of "dueling" patches when a system binary
has two unrelated problems with it.  Patch 1 will fix problem 1, and when
you install patch 2 to fix problem 2 -- guess what!  Patch 2 doesn't
include the fix for problem 1.

> and you don't necessarily have to reboot the system as part of the
> process.

But since you don't know if what was patched was something only read at
startup, you always need to reboot a Sun after patching.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)