Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:36:27 -0800
From:      "W. Ryan Merrick" <sandshrimp@comcast.net>
To:        Ben Quick <general@benquick.f9.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW confusion

Ben Quick wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've been hunting around for information on IPFW, and how to set up the
> rules I require. I found a tutorial that seemed to fit my needs:
> http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ipfw.html
>
> However, I can't get the config to work. I've commented out all the deny
> rules. In this instance, I can browse the web via SQUID that's installed
> on the IPFW box. I can't browse the web directly, though. That is the
> only external access I get. I can't ping any sites, DNS lookups fail
> (I've set the DNS servers on the client workstation to be that my ISP's.
> I also tried setting it to look at the IPFW box first, with no luck)
>
> Can anyone offer help on this one? I'm getting stuck in a muddle of
> mis-understanding
>
> My setup is as follows
>
> Internal LAN is 192.168.0.x
> IPFW machine has 2 NIC's:
> rl0: 192.168.0.10
> rl1: 172.16.200.10
> rl1 connects directly to my DSL router (D-Link 504) which has an
> internal IP of 172.16.200.1 along with it's public IP on the DSL port
>
> The ruleset I'd like is as follows
>
> For client IP's of 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.20 allow the following
> HTTP \ HTTPS - But not directly, force them to use SQUID (Listening on
> port 8080, and using squidGuard for content filtering)
> POP3 - But, only so far as pop.myisp.com
> IMAP - But, only so far as imap.myisp.com
> SMTP - But, only so far as smtp.myisp.com
> DNS lookups - But, only with ns1.myisp.com and ns2.myisp.com
> NNTP - But, only so far as news.myisp.com
> FTP - To anywhere
>
> For client IP's of 192.168.0.21 - 192.168.0.254 no access to anything
> external to the 192.168.0.x network should be granted
>
> I'd like the IPFW box and 192.168.0.1 to be able to SSH out to anywhere.
>
> I'd like to allow SSH inbound from a specific IP to be directed at the
> IPFW box (The port forwarding can be done with the DSL router) - SSH
> isn't currently listening on that interface, I'll get to that later :)
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable ruleset? Is anyone willing to help me
> generate it?
>
> Thanks
> Ben

Hello,

Your best coarse of action is to add: 'ipfw add 65000 deny log all from any
to any'. Then watch #/var/log/security for the hits as you attempt to
access the internet. Build your firewall rules above the 65000 rule to
eliminate the traffic from the log. The log will give you all the correct
addresses and ports.

-Ryan Merrick
sandshrimp@comcast.net