Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:27:09 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
Cc:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/5463: No spell check in pico editor because /usr/bin/spell doesn't exist

Hi,

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 04:50:01PM -0700, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> >
> >    Please note that as of current state both Pine 3.96 and Pine 4.00
> >  ports have the Spell feature disabled in Pico and left enabled in Pine
> >  (so that you may use it by specifying an external speller); this
> >  decision was taken because Pico cannot use an external editor and the
> >  default speller specified at the build time with SPELLER doesn't exist.
> >
> >    I'd be happy to hear your comments !
>
> Seems reasonable to me.  :)
>
> Perhaps disabling it in Pico is a bad decision (maybe sysadmin has
> provided a link from /usr/bin/spell to ispell), but I have complete
> confidence in the port maintainer to make a decision regarding
> that.  :)  So long as he leaves it evident in the port Makefile what
> he is doing (haven't checked).

 Ache (Andrey A. Chernov) was the original committer of this hack for Pine
3.96 and he sustained that it must go in 4.00 too...
 And BTW, he told me ispell won't work -- and as we don't have any other
standard speller in the ports I agreed to disable it in Pico (like I said,
Pico doesn't know to use anything else but the SPELLER defined at
compile-time) and leave it enabled in Pine (who may use an external
speller).

 What's your opionion ?

> [If it was my comments specifically that you wanted, you should have
> felt free(er) to Cc: me.]

 Actually I asked the original poster of the PR... :)

> --
> This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.

 [ Yeah, right, I should make one for myself tooo ... :) ]

 Thanks,
 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)