Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 03:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-freebsd-mobile@arctic.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> > A couple of people suggested _always_ reading mail on the laptop,
> > thereby skirting the problem of switching back and forth between
> > machines.  That's an intriguing idea, but I'm still hoping to avoid
> > the need for it.
>
> I don't understand this.  It is *the* obvious answer to the problem;
> all your mail is in one place, and it's always with you.  You don't
> have to worry at all about getting "at" your mail, or any of the agony
> you describe.

Uh, no it is not "the obvious answer", it's the wrong answer.  What you're
saying is that if I forget my laptop at home and go to work (which is a 40
minute commute) then, well, I can't read email all day long.  Sorry, not
an acceptable answer.  There's a reason I keep my mail on a server that's
internet accessible.

> > Overall, I'm pretty disappointed at the state of the art for this mode
> > of operation.  I had hoped the world would be further along by now.
>
> http://www.hotmail.com.

I think part of what John wants is both online and offline capabilities.
Like what POP crap gives you if you always carry your laptop around, but
without the need for always carrying your laptop around.  This is what
IMAP 4 disconnected mode is all about.  Except nobody has implemented it
on the client side yet (or rather, not enough clients have implemented it
yet).

Dean