Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:52:19 -0400
From:      Brenden Grace <bcg@intelli7.com>
To:        Peter Buckingham <peter@pantasys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device probe issue with an em(4) compatible device

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 15:32, Peter Buckingham wrote:
> experience then just not compiling in the em driver or an ugly like i
> describe (or you suggest) should be fine.

I wasn't trying to be rude, but DEVICE_PROBE(9) seems to describe how
conflicts like this should be handled. I was wondering if I am in fact
correct that devices that attempt to be generic enough for wide support
(accepting PCI_ANY_ID) should also properly pass the probing (by
returning some negative) so that a driver that may better fit the exact
device can attach.

> If you are doing it for the
> later reason why aren't you just extending the em driver to support your
> device?

I _really_ am only interested in answers to the above question.

--
Brenden C. Grace
Intelli7