Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:56:37 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We need to do an audit of our "crypto", both current and planned.

> Once the code has been "declared", are we allowed to change it?

I think that's the idea behind giving them a URL.  Surely the Linux
folks are going to jump on this bandwagon and I certainly expect their
code to change once declared.  I think all the commerce department is
looking for here is a pointer to something they can audit on demand
should reports surface that Fidel Castro is using Red Hat linux to
communicate with the chinese government or something.

Someone also suggested that I sign the commerce dept. up for a gratis
CD subscription, and I'd be happy to do that. :)

> I'm nervous ("paranoid") that "declared" code is somehow set in stone,
> er, red tape, and needs to be "re-declared" after any change.

I appreciate this, but I certainly don't see anything in the agreement
so far which implies this, and I would expect some far more vocal and
far richer open source players to scream blue murder over this if it
were a one-off deal on the declaration.  Everyone involved has got to
know that the code changes too rapidly to make any other approach
practical.

- Jordan