Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:48:41 +1000
From:      "Alastair G. Hogge" <agh@tpg.com.au>
To:        "Michael Vondung" <michael@vcommunities.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 -- Gamma Correction

On Thursday, 18 September 2003 21:34, Michael Vondung wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> I successfully managed to install the FreeBSD nVidia video drivers, but ran
> into a problem that is apparently X related: How does one tune the gamma
> correction? "man XFree86" suggests the command line option "-gamma value",
> where "value" is a number between 0.1 and 10.0, 1.0 being the default. I
> tried to start X with "startx -gamma 2.0", but right after displaying the
> nVidia logo, X drops back to the command line. The error message says,
> "/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: bad command line option '-gamma'. The XFree86
> version is 4.3.0 (compiled from ports).
>
> What am I doing wrong, and where would I look for more information? Also,
> if a working option can be found, is there a place where I can put this so
> that it is automatically used and I don't have to type it in manually every
> time X is started?
Hmm looking at "man startx" I think that you need to add "--" to the command
line to inform startx that the following switchs/options are for the X server
and not startx. Try "startx -- -gamma 2.0"

> (At this point I actually miss the nice GUI-interface to tweak the card
> that comes with nVidia's XP drivers. :)
/usr/ports/sysutils/nvclock might be interesting. Build it, install it and run
nvclock_gtk

> Thanks!
No worries.
Hope all that was helpfull