Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 17:00:46 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dave Smith <dave@xoom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Clark <wclark@xoom.com>
Subject:   Re: redirect ftp requests from one machine to another machine

On Sat, Nov 01, 1997 at 09:38:24PM -0800, Dave Smith wrote:

> I need a quick fix. Our load balancing server is down
> undergoing repair so I need a way to redirect FTP
> requests to xoom.com to go to our ftp server, ftp.xoom.com.
>
> I don't want to have to email our users who are used
> of doing 'ftp xoom.com' and tell them to do 'ftp ftp.xoom.com'
> for the next couple of days. I am trying to come up with a
> seamless solution.
>
> Putting the ftp server on the machine which answers to xoom.com
> is not feasible. The ftp server is on xoomftp.xoom.com.

The correct answer would have been to tell your customers to go to
ftp.xoom.com from the start.  Then you could have changed the DNS
configuration to point to a different IP.

Assuming your topology allows this, and the server is down, you might
be able to save the day by adding an IP alias.  On ftp.xoom.com:

  # ifconfig <interface> xoom.com netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

Greg