Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 21:46:35 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "rm -rf *" - "argument list too long"

Darren Wyn Rees wrote:

> I'm in a directory with a tonne of files I wish to delete.
> I type "rm -rf *", but it won't work, it gives "/bin/rm: Argument
> list too long".  So how can I delete these many files ?

find . -delete

> I can "cd ..", and then "rm -rf <directory name>", and that works.
>
> However, what if I didn't wish to remove directories.  In that
> case, what would I do to remove the files ?

find . -type f -delete

Replace "-delete" with "-print | xargs rm -f" for a more portable
version, with only a small amount of extra overhead.

> PS. (I'm finding it takes some getting used to putting
> the operands to many commands immediately after the command.
> Why is this so with FreeBSD? With Linux I can type 'rm * -rf' etc.)

uh....  If you can really do that with Linux, that's severely weird.
It's just common sense as far as I can see to have the options first, I
guess it's because that's what I'm used to.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D