Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 20:53:42 +0000
From:      Steve Logue <stevel@mail.cdsnet.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Jaz Drives / Tagged Command Queuing

FreeBSD Lists,

Due to my own problems as the owner of a Jaz drive, I have gotten word
from Iomega that confirms the state of Tagged Command Queuing as the
underlying problem.  There is an error in all Jaz, and Jaz2 drives prior
to BIOS level J.86 that has not shipped yet.  Read the following, and
make the appropriate corrections to your system present, and future:

> Steve,
>
> I got a very fast response from the hardware engineer (Jaz and Jaz 2
> designer).  The problem is this - The Jaz drive does not support
> command queing, and revisions older than J.86 do not report it correctly.
> For example, when your SCSI adapter says "I'm going to use command
> queing" to the Jaz drive, the drive answers "OK, lets go", even though its
> not supported.  The J.86 drives will now answer "Sorry, command
> queing is not supported".  Iomega does not have any current plans to
> support command queing.
>
> Thank's for your report, I will continue to forward it to the hardware
> engineers.

-STEVEl