Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:11:54 -0700
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OT: Sendmail/DNS Weirdness

One of the hosts on my network is amending my mail relay to outbound
email addresses.

If there exists a virtuser in a virtual domain that I host
(sales@virtual-domain.com) sendmail passes mail to the mail relay (MX)
with my relay host and domain ammended to the address (ie.
sales@relay.my-domain.com). Here look:

host%  sendmail -bv sales@virtual-domain.com
sales@virtual-domain.com... deliverable: mailer relay, host
relay.my-domain.com, user sales@relay.my-domain.com

Since there is no real user called sales@relay.my-domain.com, the mail
bounces.  Obviously we want outbound email to be relayed intact.

The host in question is using FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, with Sendmail
8.9.3/8.9.3.  It is not running bind at all, but it is a NIS client
(host.conf: nis,bind,hosts). Here are some lines from sendmail.cf that
might be interesting:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSrelay.my-domain.com
# who I send unqualified names to (null means deliver locally)
DR
# who gets all local email traffic ($R has precedence for unqualified
names)
DHrelay.my-domain.com

Making the DS null only causes the mail in question to be delivered
locally.  So I thought (as I know that you are thinking right now), I
must have the virtual domains listed as local domain records (Cw or
sendmail.cw)... not! Only localhost is listed as Cw and there is no
sendmail.cw file on the system... remember this thing is NOT running
bind either.... and no, this machine is not listed in any MX record for
any virtual domain.

Can I put one more wrinkle on it? Another host (on 3.5-RELEASE) with the
same version of sendmail, same resolv.conf, host.conf and sendmail.cf
relays the mail intact.!

This is keeping me awake at night... will someone please help me sleep.

Peace,
Blake