Date:      Sat, 19 May 2007 15:23:03 +1000
From:      fbsd <fbsd@aanet.com.au>
To:        Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        Justin Muir <justinkmuir@yahoo.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG  - if_ipw not working

--------------030100000201050804050903

Vince wrote:
> Justin Muir wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I load the module and I'm not getting the ipw0 device.
>> If I'm reading the instructions
>> (damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ipw-freebsd.html)
>> correctly, I should be able to:
>>
>> 1. load the driver
>> 2. see the ipw0 device
>> 3. load the firmware into the device with ipwcontrol.
>>

> The 3945ABG needs the wpi driver (ipw is for 2100 chipset)
> Damien's freebsd wpi driver has been discontinued (for some time see
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/6497/ .)
> The page for the driver currently being developed is
> http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi but sadly
> a) the tarballed versions are old and wont compile on -STABLE or
> -CURRENT (dont know about 6.2-RELEASE though)
> b) Unless you have perforce access you can only download the more recent
> development version file by file (from
> http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/benjsc/wpi)
> c) it doesnt work for me anyway ;)
>
> sorry its not better news
>
> regards,
> Vince
>

>> The if_ipw kernel module loads without errors.
>>
>> I checked the device/driver under windows and that's
>> what it's showing - Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG, IRQ 17
>>
>> I checked my dmesg output and there is a network
>> device with IRQ 17, but it states there is no driver
>> loaded.
>>
>> Not sure what I'm doing wrong here....
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> Thx,
>>

>> jkm
>>
>> ps - dmesg and uname output attached
>>

>>       Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

Hi,

I agree with Vince that the latest drivers do not work at least on
FreeBSD 6.1 (I'm using PC-BSD 1.3 which is based on 6.1). I tried them
all with no luck. But I tried an older version which does, albeit with
some error messages. I don't remember where I found it and I don't
remember how I installed it (That will teach me to document everything
properly!) but please find it attached and good luck!

Ron

--------------030100000201050804050903--